At Jim Erpenbach DDS, your cosmetic dentist in Knoxville, we are big advocates of biomimetic dentistry. We’ll explain that momentarily.
First, though, here are some interesting facts about teeth that you may not be aware of.
- Children’s teeth are soft until about age 10.
- A tooth with a crown can get a cavity.
- Your gum tissue is as vital as your teeth.
- Some prescription drugs can increase your risk of cavities.
- Some home faucet water filters remove fluoride.
- 19 percent of children between the ages of 2 and 19 have untreated dental caries.
- Heartburn can be damaging for teeth.
- Allergies can cause tooth grinding.
- Dried fruit is just as bad for teeth as sticky candy.
- Tooth enamel cannot repair itself though dentin and cementum (the substance that surrounds the tooth root) are capable of partial regeneration.
- A Harvard-led team recently used low-powered lasers to activate stem cells and stimulate the growth of teeth in rats and human dental tissue in a lab. http://www.businessinsider.com/laser-stem-cell-tooth-tissue-regeneration-2014-5#ixzz3fzlosJDMTooth
- There are about 300 types of bacteria in your mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum after meals can help remove food particles on your teeth. You still need to brush, but if you can’t brush immediately after meals, sugarless gum can help keep your teeth clean.
- Cavities often don’t cause pain until they have reached the root and nerve of the tooth. Visit your dentist regularly to prevent cavities or at least to detect them when they are small.
- Bone recession can cause tooth loss even if no decay is present.
At Jim Erpenbach DDS, your cosmetic dentist in Knoxville, we think of biomimetic dentistry as meaning less drilling and less discomfort for our patients, with long-lasting results. The dental work we create mimics natural teeth as much as possible. And it’s done with the latest technology and techniques.
Contact Jim Erpenbach DDS:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):