We may not think about it too much, but toothpaste is a big part of our oral hygiene routine. Everyone knows the importance of brushing twice a day, but the extent of toothpaste itself is a little unclear. Some people nowadays don’t even use toothpaste. Still, one of the facts about toothpaste is that its ingredients help our overall oral hygiene and make the tooth structure more resistant.
Toothpaste has come a long way from its Egyptian origins or rocks and vinegar. The first mass-produced toothpaste was released by Colgate in 1873 and was sold in a jar. The common toothpaste ingredients include:
- Fluoride: All types of toothpaste contain fluoride, even organic ones. It helps harden your teeth and promotes an overall healthy mouth.
- Abrasives: Abrasives clean bacterial film and debris from your teeth.
- Flavors: Saccharine is one kind of sweetener that toothpaste includes.
- Detergents: Detergents are for cleaning and to produce foamy lather.
- Treatment Additives: One of the treatment additives that toothpaste contains is tetrasodium pyrophosphate for tartar control.
- Binders to stabilize the toothpaste formula.
- Humectants: Humectants help keep the toothpaste moist.
4 Reasons To Use Toothpaste
Plaque is the primary cause of gum disease and cavities. If plaque is not removed continuously, it can harden and form something called tartar. The best way to control plaque is by brushing your teeth at least twice a day. The fact about toothpaste is that it’s not necessary to clean teeth effectively. Brushing combined with flossing, limiting sugar, and regular dentist appointments can maintain your teeth clean and healthy.
Then, why do we use toothpaste? Because other than simply cleaning your teeth, toothpaste has many other benefits, such as:
- Toothpaste helps prevent gingivitis and tooth decay. Toothpaste contains fluoride, which beefs up tooth structure, making it more resistant to decay. Fluoride also promotes mineralization, which aids in repairing early decay.
- Toothpaste comes in many flavors and helps to leave your mouth and breath feeling fresh.
- Special ingredients in toothpaste help to clean and polish the teeth and remove stains over time. Brushing your teeth regularly helps make a whiter smile.
- Other special toothpaste ingredients help other dental problems like tooth sensitivity, tooth decay, and gum disease.
Keep Your Smile Beautiful and Healthy
No matter what type of toothpaste you prefer, good oral hygiene and regular dental care are essential to your overall oral health. You can remove most of the plaque from your teeth on your own, but professional cleanings are essential to get rid of mouth plaque that you can’t remove at home.
If you have any questions about what toothpaste you should be using, contact a dentist today. Jim Erpenbach DDS is a Knoxville dentist that, among other services, offers dental cleanings. Our motto is that a healthy oral environment reflects the health of the entire body. We provide our clients with exceptional dental care and treat them as we would like to be treated.
Contact the best dentist in Knoxville, TN, today.